Thursday, November 8, 2007

The dead




I woke up at 2 this afternoon and decided to take a metro ride out to the 20e, to visit the Père Lachaise cemetary. The Boulevard Menilmontant that runs along the main wall of the cemetary is very nice, and I wandered in the main gate about 2:30. Usually there should be someone to hand out the maps, but I either missed it completely or he wasn't there when I walked in. Anyways without a guide to the famous dead buried here, I was contented to stroll without any particular direction. The place is enormous, I've never seen such a cemetary. The tombstones that most North American graveyards have would be looked at with scorn when compared to the enormous and elaborate family crypts you'd find here. The French don't seem to hold grid shaped streets in much regard, as the ones I walked were winding cobblestone lanes(which are quite charming though). I walked past the final resting places of dukes and generals, princesses and actresses, among others. It was so amazingly peaceful(a graveyard I know), but I really enjoyed my walk. After an hour of not seeing any one who's name I recognized, I decided to go see Oscar Wilde. The tomb is, as promised, covered in lipstick marks from fans and admirers. I hadn't any lipstick on me, so I'll have to come back to leave a kiss. Some idiot had taken a blue Sharpie to it, which rather ruined the effect. All in all though, the afternoon was very pleasant, and I'll eventually come back, with a map(and lipstick).

No comments: