Wednesday, February 27, 2008

In the capital

On day three of my holiday, I braved the Tunisian public transport system, and bought a ticket from Hammamet to Tunis(about 60kms, but just over an hours ride). It was a little intimidating, but fun in the end. The ticketman didn't speak French(or pretended not to), so my very nice taxi driver bought me a ticket, walked me to the bus, and wished me luck on my journey(very cute). The bus was similar to a Greyhound, albeit a Greyhound that played Arabic chanting over the loudspeaker, and smells of jasmine. I stuck out rather badly haha. Anyways, I made it into the capital, and had a wonderful time walking about.


This is the colonial(Tunisia was another French colony) entrance to the souk(bazaar or market) in the Old Town. It was really exotic with narrow window paths, and the vendors are smooth and have a well practiced sales pitch(many of them even take the effort to learn it in English, French, Spanish, and German, so as to have an even better chance of getting your dinars). The whole thing looks like an Arabian Nights illustration, minus the gaudy souvenirs .

This is the main drag. I completely forget it's name, but it's the Tunisian answer to the Champs d'Elysee.
The big old clocktower in central Tunis.


Another shot of the mini Champs.



(I'm sorry about the bad quality of the pictures. Most of them were taken from inside the tourbus as we rolled along, and it was also raining before we arrived, so the windows were watermarked. Enjoy them anyways.)

No comments: